Registration in Standard Timetables at UBC
Students will be notified by email with the date and time that they can register through the Student Service Centre (SSC).
UBC Engineering uses standard timetables (STTs), which enable students to register for all core courses at once. Students must register in one of the ENVE STTs before adding technical electives. After you have registered for an STT and technical electives, consult with the latest ENVE academic calendar to ensure you have satisfied all your degree requirements.
You can manually drop the individual courses you do not need from your STT if, for example, you already completed the course. Please be aware of the deadlines for dropping courses on the UBC calendar.
Additional Instructions for 4th Year STTs:
- You may choose either CHBE 459 or CIVL 403. CHBE 459 will already be in the STTs, but if you wish, you can drop it individually and add CIVL 403.
- Students who have already taken EOSC 429, must choose the STT without EOSC 429. Students who have not taken EOSC 429, must choose the STT with EOSC 429. EOSC 429 is a core course requirement for ENVE.
Registration in Technical Electives at UBC
Students must take 15 credits of technical electives at UBC—a minimum of 6 of these credits must be from the primary list. A maximum of 3 credits can be taken at UNBC in your first two years of study at UNBC. Registration in technical electives is not guaranteed.
Instructions for registering in approved technical electives:
Once your registration opens, you must first attempt to register for technical electives via the SSC yourself. If you are unable to do so, follow these instructions:
(Important Note: Ensure you list your prerequisites from UNBC briefly to ensure timely processing of your registration requests. Do not send lengthy statements. Instead, format your prerequisites like so: UNBC STAT 371 = UBC STAT 251.)
- CIVL technical electives: Complete the Civil Course Registration Request Form
- For UNBC prerequisites required for a course that the UBC system does not recognize, choose ENVE transit student – Prerequisites met under the Registration Issues drop down menu and provide the UNBC course equivalent’s name and code in the Comments box.
- Requests may take a few weeks to process. You may follow up with the CIVL department if you do not see the requested course on your SSC after this time.
- APSC 486, follow the application process. ESS will enroll you if you are accepted into the course.
- All other technical electives: For some of these courses, you will be able to add them yourself. If not, email your name, your student number, your year level, your program (ENVE), the course code you want to add and list all prerequisites you have for the course including those from UNBC directly to the respective department. In most cases, you will not receive an email confirmation. Students should confirm registration in courses on the SSC.
- APSC (except for APSC 486) – Students can register themselves
- CHBE – Send your request to the ENVE Administrator
- CHEM – Add yourself to the waitlist and send your request to the ENVE Administrator
- MINE – Requests may take 5 business days to process
- SCIE – Students can register themselves
Instructions for registering in technical electives that are not on the approved list or to take more than the required number of technical electives:
Check that you have the prerequisites (or similar) necessary for the course in question and that it is not restricted. You must then send you request to the UBC Co-Director (and cc the UBC ENVE Administrator), providing the following information:
- the course name, code and link
- a summary of all primary and secondary technical electives you plan to take (approval is not given one course at a time);
- a rationale for your request
- a syllabus
The UBC Co-Director will respond to you via email. Please print and retain a copy of this response until you have graduated and ensure a copy of the approval is sent to the UBC ENVE Administrator so that your record can be updated.
Instructions for potentially registering in a graduate course as a technical elective:
You must email your request to the UBC Co-Director, providing the following:
- the course name, code and link
- a summary of all primary and secondary technical electives you plan to take (approval is not given one course at a time)
- proof you are in accordance with the UBC Undergraduate Eligibility for Graduate courses
- a completed UBC Graduate Studies enrolment of undergraduate students in graduate course form
- Note that the requirements listed on the form must be met before you make a request to the UBC Co-Director
- written permission from the course instructor
- a strong rationale for the course choice
- a syllabus